Explore English may defer or cancel commencement of a course when a course is not offered.
In the unlikely event that Explore English stops teaching or cannot offer a course (any time after a student has enrolled) their tuition fees will be protected under the ESOS Act. This may occur if Explore English closes its business or its course is removed from CRICOS. This situation is called provider default and there are strict rules that Explore English must follow in such situations.
If this occurs, a student can choose to accept either:
- A refund of all their course monies paid, or:
- Be placed in an alternative course at no extra cost to the student within Explore English or at another provider
The refund for provider default will include all the course money paid including those parts of the course the student has already completed. The refund will be paid within two weeks of the course not being provided.
Explore English will provide the student with information about both choices – a refund or placement in an alternative course. Should the student choose to accept placement in an alternative course, the student must agree to this in writing.
Explore English may suspend a student enrolment for the following:
- Failing to abide by the Code of Conduct
- Compassionate and compelling circumstances
- Explore English may cancel a student enrolment for:
- Serious student misconduct
- Non payment of overdue fees
- Not complying with the attendance policy
In a case of serious misconduct, the Director of the Language Centre, in consultation with the Managing Director will make an immediate decision on suspension or expulsion.
In the event of an Explore English initiated suspension or cancellation, students will be given 20 working days to access the Explore English Complaints and Appeals Process.
Student’s enrolment will be maintained by Explore English until the Complaints and Appeals Process is finalised.
If the Appeal is not upheld, the suspension or cancellation will be notified to the DIBP at the conclusion of the Complaints and Appeals Process.
If the complainant finds no satisfactory outcome with the internal Explore English Complaints and Appeals process then they can request mediation through the Overseas Services Ombudsman. However, Explore English may notify the DIBP prior to the outcome of this appeal.
Student initiated deferral, suspension or cancellation (Student visas)
Students may defer commencement of a course, suspend or cancel their enrolment during their course.
- Students may request a deferral prior to course commencement by completing a Deferral, Suspension or Cancelation Form. The request must be made in writing and addressed to the International Admissions Manager. Once the deferral is processed the student will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment letter and have a new enrolment agreement written to reflect the new commencement date.
- Students may request to suspend their enrolment for a maximum period of six months by filing out the Deferral, Suspension or Cancelation Form and submitting to the International Admissions Manager. Suspensions longer than six months may result in the cancellation of the student visa by DIBP. Students must obtain the approval of the International Admissions Manager if they wish to suspend their enrolment for any period. Once approved, the International Admissions Manager will provide a letter confirming suspension approval.
- Students opting to cancel their enrolment in a course must obtain written approval from the International Admissions Manager by completing a Deferral, Suspension or Cancelation Form. Once approved, the International Admissions Manager will provide a letter confirming cancellation. Once the cancellation has been processed Explore English will notify DIBP and the student visa may be cancelled
- It is a requirement of DIBP that if a student’s enrolment is temporarily suspended for a period of 28 days or longer, the student must return home, unless special circumstances exist (approved by DIBP/Department of Education)
- Upon deferral, suspension or cancellation, the course fees owed to Explore English will be due as set out in the Student Agreement
- Once the deferral, suspension or cancellation is processed, Explore English will notify Department of Education and DIBP
Student initiated deferral, suspension or cancellation (Non Student Visa holders). Refer to refund policy.